We all know almonds are ideal for our health as they contain high nutritional value. Many soak it overnight and consume it the next day, while some prefer eating it raw. Have you ever wondered which one is more beneficial or what difference it makes whether you soak them or have them raw? Keep reading to find out which is better for you..
benefits of almonds
Almonds have high nutritional value, including vitamin E, fiber, omega fatty acids, protein, magnesium, and phosphorus. Consuming almonds regularly can result in multiple benefits like improved blood flow, digestion, lowered blood pressure, and delayed aging.
Soaked Almonds Or Raw Almonds
Almonds are good for your health regardless of how they are eaten, however, there can be an added advantage if you soak them overnight and then consume them. Nutrient absorption is suppressed by tannin in almond peel. You can easily take off the peel and consume them when you soak them overnight. This helps in better digestion and nutrient absorption.
Here are some reasons why soaked almonds are better than raw almonds:
- Digestion: Soaked almonds are better at digestion as their skin makes it difficult to digest. Soaking them in water makes them softer and also retains their nutrients.
- Weight Loss: Soaked almonds release enzymes that prevent weight gain and aid in metabolism. Consuming almonds reduces your appetite due to the monounsaturated fats present in them. This is ideal for those who often end up binge eating.
- Higher Nutritional Value: The nutrient intake in our body increases when we eat soaked almonds along with removing impurities and enhancement of fiber and antioxidants.
Also Read: Eating a Handful of Almonds Everyday Can Reduce the Risk of Heart Disease
- Removal Of Phytic Acid: The phytic acid in almonds is not removed when you soak almonds, which hampers nutrient absorption and results in improper utilization of zinc and iron in the body.
- Antioxidants: Soaked almonds contain vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant and curbs free radical damage, thus preventing aging and inflammation.
- Helps during pregnancy: Consuming soaked almonds during pregnancy can be very useful as it contains folic acid, which releases hormones that help natural labor and prevent birth defects.
- Beneficial for cancer patients: Soaked almonds also have the presence of vitamin B17, which is beneficial for cancer treatment.
How To Soak Almonds?
- Take almonds (eight to 10) and wash it properly.
- Put your almonds in a container and submerge them in water.
- Cover it and soak almonds for eight to 12 hours.
- Peel it off and eat it in the morning.
Raw almonds are also a healthy option regardless of their lower digestion ability and nutrient absorption. The skin of almonds is rich in antioxidants which lower the risk of heart disease, and diabetes and increase good cholesterol levels.
Also Read: Almonds For Skin? Here’s How And Ways To Use
It is up to you to choose between soaked and raw almonds, however, it will be more beneficial if you consume soaked almonds, especially in old age as it is easier to digest. Adding almonds to your diet will also result in good hair and skin. You may also add almonds to your meals, such as oats, fruit salads, smoothies and desserts.